Should I take a Vitamin D supplement?

What is Vitamin D?

Vitamin D is needed by your body to help maintain the immune system and to keep your bones, teeth and muscles healthy. The majority of Vitamin D, in fact 90%, is produced by the body is response to sun exposure. This is why Vitamin D is often referred to as 'The Sunshine Vitamin'. The remaining 10% of Vitamin D comes from Vitamin D rich foods such as:

  • oily fish – such as salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel
  • red meat
  • liver
  • egg yolks
  • fortified foods – such as some fat spreads and breakfast cereals

There are a limited number of foods containing Vitamin D3, and in the UK Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent therefore, supplementation is recommended. 

 

Vitamin D Deficiency: should I take a Vitamin D supplement?

If you do not get exposed to a lot of sunlight, a quality Vitamin D supplement will help you maintain your overall health and wellbeing.

In autumn and winter the sun isn’t strong enough in the UK for the body to produce Vitamin D. Therefore, the official NHS guidance is that all adults take a Vitamin D supplement daily in autumn and winter.

Vitamin D and the super-cold

Comments from immunopathology experts such as Professor Neil Mabbot have said that this winter we can expect to see a significant rise in colds and respiratory diseases.

The rise in colds this winter is due to the limited exposure our immune systems have had to bugs over the past 18 months when mask-wearing and social distancing restrictions have been in place. Cold symptoms have been reported as worse than usual and the 'super-cold' term has been coined. 

Ways to protect yourself against the super-cold:

  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds 
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. 
  • Stay away from people who are sick.

Vitamin D3 vs Vitamin D2

Vitamin D is more than just one vitamin. In your diet, the most commonly found forms are vitamin D2 and D3. 

Although you need both forms, Vitamin D3 is more important for your health and wellbeing because our bodies absorb and use Vitamin D3 better, and it is more effective at treating diseases.

When picking a Vitamin D supplement, choose one containing Vitamin D3 such as Head East's Calcium Carbonate and Vitamin D3 supplement.

Shop our range of sustainable supplements here.